The Monday Blahs are part of life, right? You’ve had a beautiful summer weekend gardening, barbecuing, visiting with friends, enjoying the outdoors, then Whammy! The Monday Blahs hit you like a ton of bricks and that great mood you’ve been cultivating all weekend just sank to the bottom of the river in cement over shoes.
Remember the Boomtown Rats “I don’t like Mondays”? Just think about all the songs about Monday (Stormy Monday, Rainy Days and Mondays, Blue Monday, Monday Morning Blues, etc) and you’ll start to see the pattern. Mondays can be a downer.
But it doesn’t have to be that way. You can find happiness at the beginning of the week by making some small changes that will have a great impact on the days that follow.
The 10 best ways to beat the Monday Blahs are:
- Drink water – It is no secret that dehydration effects your mood. Drink up, especially if you indulged in late night weekend fun, you’ll be glad you did.
- Exercise as early in the day as possible – Physical activity is a scientifically proven mood booster. Exercising early in the morning sets your day on the right path. You’ll have more energy to do what needs to be done.
- Eat a healthy, protein rich breakfast – The most important meal of the day gives you stamina. Eating protein raises your body’s levels of tyrosine, which prompts the chemical messengers in the brain.
- Plan for Monday on Friday – Before you leave your desk on Friday, plan out your whole day for Monday. It’ll make Monday a cakewalk.
- Get enough sleep and wake when your alarm goes off – Shakespeare called sleep the “Chief nourisher in life’s feast.” Your body needs it. Don’t keep hitting the snooze alarm – studies show that the sleep fragmentation resulting from snooze alarm abuse impairs daytime performance at work.
- Identify the problem, if there is one – Are you grumpy on Mondays because there is a problem at work? Identify it and start to take some steps toward resolution; you’ll have more time to focus on the aspects of your job that you love.
- Identify the things you are excited about – List the things you love about your job, write down your exciting projects, get your mojo going.
- Don’t read work emails during the weekend – Make sure your weekend really is the break from work you deserve. Unplug. Work can wait for the workweek.
- Give yourself a little treat on Mondays – Whether it is a yoga class or a new song on iTunes, give yourself a little treat every Monday. You’ll start to look forward to it.
- Make someone else happy – One of the best ways to make yourself happy to is to make someone else happy. Scientific studies, Psychology Today, the Dalai Lama, and Oprah all agree that compassionate caring (essentially making someone else happy) is the secret to happiness.
Have a happy Monday! It’s totally up to you.Tags: gardening, happiness, Mondays, summer weekend, weekend