Stay focused, stay focused, stay fo…zzzzz. Did something like this happen at your desk this week? It did at mine! New England just got walloped by record-setting heat. A high pressure system over the Western Atlantic caused temperatures to soar into the mid 90s. It felt like August, though it’s not even mid-June. That kind of heat, especially so soon in the season when our bodies and maybe our psyches are not quite prepared, can wreck havoc with productivity.
Here are 8 great ways to stay focused and productive at work even when the sweltering temperatures outside are draining your energy and motivation.
- Stay hydrated. Here at Blossom Water this is our mantra. Hunger, fatigue, lack of focus, irritability are all early signs of dehydration. Keep hydrated and you’ll keep ahead of the game.
- Stay cool. An old P-funk song from the 70s says, “I have to put on my sunglasses, so I can be cool.” If that what it takes, do it! Keeping cool not only boosts your metabolism, it can help you keep your cool, as in keeping your head in tough situations. Wear loose-fitting clothing (cotton is best for keeping cool), dab the insides of your elbows and the back of your neck with a cool damp cloth, try a little lavender or rosewater sprayed on your neck.
- Eat healthy foods. Hot weather may make you crave ice cream or chips, but such foods can exacerbate your discomfort. Stick to fruits and vegetables with high water content such as cucumbers and water melon.
- Get some air. Open a window or turn on a fan. Stagnant air can make you feel, well…stagnant. Keep your lungs and your thoughts vibrant with the circulation of fresh air.
- Plan your vacation. You know you’re daydreaming about it. Take a few minutes to make some plans. It will put your mind at ease and give you something great to look forward to.
- Collaborate. Instead of spacing out on your own, team up with a partner. Working together can improve communication and productivity and help you both keep focused. Two heads are better than one.
- Meditate. By learning to bring wandering thoughts back into focus, meditation can help you conquer distractions. A simple meditation technique is just focusing on your breath: inhale, exhale. Pay attention to your breath. Longer exhales bring soothing; longer inhales bring invigoration.
- Eat breakfast. Yes. It is the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast improves attention and concentration and can jumpstart your metabolism.
Be cool. Keep cool. Stay cool. You’ll be happier and more productive when things heat up this summer.
Image by Luxottica (Luxottica’s photo gallery) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons